Who Seeks Accreditation?
Government bodies and regulators are constantly called upon to make decisions related to:
- Protecting the health and welfare of consumers and the public
- Protecting the environment
- Developing new regulations and requirements
- Measuring compliance with regulatory and legal requirements
- Allocating resources, both technical and financial
In order to make informed decisions, government bodies and regulators must have confidence in the data generated by conformity assessment bodies [laboratories, certification bodies (management systems/product/personnel) and inspection bodies]. Using accredited conformity assessment bodies can help to establish and assure this confidence.
Accreditation applies to conformity assessment service providers operating in both the voluntary and regulatory areas.
- Testing laboratories e.g. medical, chemical, microbiology, food and associated products, engineering, textiles etc.
- Calibration laboratories e.g. mass, volume, dimension, temperature, pressure, electrical, etc.
- Certification bodies e.g. management systems (quality/environment/occupational health and safety/food management system etc.), product and personnel.
- Inspection bodies e.g. import/export, pressure equipment, etc.
- Proficiency testing service providers.